Monday, November 19, 2007

That'll be 3, I mean 20, Shekels

Mom got up early to explore the hotel's beach and take pictures of the sun rising over the Jordanian hills. I slept a bit later and when I woke up we both got into our swimsuits and headed down to the sea. The beach was much nicer than the one I had been to last year and we had a great time getting in the water (which was a very comfortable temperature) and doing the famous Dead Sea float. It felt wonderful! I didn't want to get out, but it is recommended that one not stay in for more than 15 minutes at a time.


We checked out of the hotel and drove to Jerusalem, making a few wrong turns in our attempt to find our hotel. We did eventually find it and dropped off our bags, had a huge feast of mezzes at the restaurant, and then headed into the Old City, which was a 5-minute walk away.


This was my first time staying in east Jerusalem -- the Arab part of the city. It was definitely a different experience and very interesting to me. Generally, I find the Arabs to be very friendly and helpful, though their shopkeepers are just as quick to try to make a tourist buck as any of the others.

For example: We were on our way back to our through the Arab market in the Old City.  I was extremely thirsty and I saw a shop selling juices.  All of them were listed as costing Three shekels (about 75 cents).  Sounded good to me.  So, I ordered a carrot juice.  The shopkeeper made it and served it to me in a GINORMOUS glass.  It was bigger than a Biggee Coke or whatever obscenely large drinks they have in the typical US fast food joints.  I was thinking, wow, all this for 3 shekels?!  Then, some other customers came in and they spoke Arabic.  Then it became apparent to me that there were about 4 different sizes and clearly I was given the size large enough to satisfy a small army.  Was I ever given options?  Nope.  

So, at this point, I know that I've been taken advantage of and that my drink is going to cost about $5.  And that's exactly what it cost.  The shopkeeper seemed almost every-so-slightly apologetic when he told me the cost.  But, any guilt he might have felt clearly didn't stop him from taking advantage.


No comments: