Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Dead Sea, Masada

Mom and I went on a little mini-trip, leaving Sweetie behind (poor lonely Sweetie! Actually, I am sure he LOVED the peace and quiet, as today he was closing the door on my mom and me while I tried to explain to her how to work the washing machine). We drove down toward the Dead Sea in my speedy (and gas-guzzling -- it's no Honda Civic!) "new" car, passing the signs indicating sea level, and increments below that, as we headed toward the lowest point on earth.

We passed by Qumran, where a Bedouin found the Dead Sea Scrolls, but we didn't stop as time was running short and we wanted to fit Masada in. We arrived at Masada and elected to take the cable car round-trip instead of hiking the 45-minute to one-hour Snake Path up (Masada was going to be closing in 90 minutes, so we didn't really have time).

The cable car turned out to be more painful than a hike up the path would have been, as we were cramped in with about 78 very talkative (read: LOUD) Russian tourists, one of whom forced herself into about two inches of space directly behind my bum).

ANYWAY, we walked around Masada and had a great time admiring the beauty of the Dead Sea and the surrounding mountians. Until we encountered a group of about 70 very obnoxious and loud Arab girls at one of the palaces on Masada. We ended up on a cable car with them for the ride down. As I boarded the cable car, the operator looked at me defeatedy and said, "I'm very sorry." Indeed. So was I. Discipline was not the strong point of these girls or their chaperones.

No comments: