Friday, November 2, 2007

Expanding my carbon footprint

This morning marks my return to the world of mobility. Independence. Sightseeing. Reasonably priced groceries (ie: not overpriced groceries from the nearby corner stores). And other assorted fun things. I got a car. It took much effort, but eventually finally the Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that I am actually allowed to purchase a car.

The last straw for me was last week. Sweetie and I tend to drive to the gym on Sundays so that we can go to the grocery store right after. It sucks, mostly for Sweetie because he works hard everyday and the last thing he wants to do on his day off is to deal with Israelis in the grocery store, parking lot, and on the streets. So, last Sunday's grocery trip was just the last straw.

We ended up getting something much larger and much nicer than I intended. I wanted a little beater like I used to have, but instead I have an immaculately maintained luxury sedan. Oh well. Our two car garage doesn't have enough space for two big cars, so Sweetie will be parking his big beater SUV outside (his choice!). Anyway, lots of adventures in store for me now, I am sure. I will try to maintain my habit of walking most of the time, though. Especially to nearby places. But I certainly am looking forward to seeing more of Israel again!

No comments: