Friday, August 24, 2007

Third World?


This morning our housekeeper (part-time, mind you! Diplomatic life isn't THAT good) came in and informed me that there was a rather large, fresh, fragrant dog deposit on the sidewalk right in front of our house. Delightful. I said, "It's like living in the third world here! There's dog poo EVERYWHERE on the sidewalks." She agreed.

I am not joking. If you walk one block, you literally have to negotiate your way around 3-4 dog piles. Can you imagine? God forbid you will be walking around at night in the dark.

We live in the most elite area of Israel, as far as I know. It's like Beverly Hills here but with so much dog poo on the streets that you would think it's a cow pasture or something! It's absolutely disgusting. Some people actually have handwritten signs on their gates telling people that the area in front of their house is not a "toilet" for dogs.

You do see people carrying around little plastic bags, but my housekeeper said that she figures it just must be for show. I guess so!

Unfortunately, I never witness the acts themselves, otherwise I would definitely go outside and confront the person: "Excuse me, you forgot something!" and then toss it to them:-)

No comments: