Thursday, August 23, 2007

"God's Warriors"

I'm sure many of you have seen some of Christiane Amanpour's "God's Warriors" three-part series for CNN. Part II is airing today.

Last night Sweetie and I caught about 45-minutes of Part I one "Jewish Warriors." "Disturbing" was our opinion. Watching it really made us feel like things are truly hopeless in the realm of religion and peace.

I know the show focuses on extremes in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. But it is precisely the concept of focusing on the extremists that engenders this hopeless feeling.

The fact is that people who take their religion to confrontational and sometimes violent extremes are in the minority. I think the key is to remember that the vast majority of people do not have these disturbing attitudes toward other peoples and other religions. Somehow, the world has to find a way to teach tolerance to more people.

This makes me think back to my experience at Neve Shalom here in Israel. If only everyone could be raised in such an environment.

No comments: