Sunday, August 12, 2007

"Partner" and all its implications, Part II

Okay, this post will be a wee bit embarrassing because it involves me admitting that I was watching a clip of Kathy Griffith's show "Life on the D List."

Now that my confession is out of the way, I was indeed watching a clip from that show. Kathy was speaking to Ricky Gervais (I don't know who he is exactly, but I've heard of him, and apparently he's a British comedian with his own TV show). Ricky referred to his significant other of the feminine persuasion as his "partner," and Kathy called him out saying that sounds "totally gay."

So, this just reconfirmed for me that Brits freely use that term to refer to opposite sex long-term, serious boyfriend/girlfriends, while Americans do, in fact, get thrown off by the use of this term in such a fashion.

Well, personally, having given up my 6-figure income, health benefits, promising (though woefully unfulfilling) career, apartment with ocean views, etc. for Sweetie, I would really like to be called something more than "girlfriend." So, maybe I'll just have to train Americans to understand that "partner" can be used in straight couples, too....

No comments: