Monday, July 9, 2007

Sicily -- Saturday 23 June -- the town of Cefalu

We ventured into town in the afternoon, and I tried one of Sicily's famous marzipan desserts (wonderful!). We followed my Eyewitness guidebook's stroll along the main road in the old medieval part of town. There were lots of interesting (and "very old" as I would say) buildings that you would never notice unless you were looking for them.



Also, we finally found the Porta Marina -- the only remaining city gate of the four that once led into the town. Sweetie said, "Shall we walk through it?" but it seemed to be occupied by a drug addict and so I discreetly declined. Sweetie offered up, "It looks contagious in there." We walked by it again a few days later, but it was occupied by a different drug addict...Oh well.



We also explored the "Night Market," which silly me, I was expecting to contain stalls of local handicrafts. .....Not quite. It was more like ummm...a swap meet or something. A bit bizarre. Oh well.

No comments: