Monday, July 2, 2007

Sicily -- June 20 -- MY SUITCASE ARRIVES

Today we went into town to get a haircut for Sweetie (it looks fabulous), and I managed to procure a plug converter for Sweetie's cell phone charger (major coup). Oddly, one of the men who seemed to always be loitering at Villa Cerniglia, the original place I had booked, was loitering in the doorway of the electronics shop.

Then, after much looking, we found some decent walking shoes for me, in case my suitcase doesn't make it before our tour of Agrigento on Thursday. The old man at the Ellesse shop where we got the shoes didn't take credit cards, but gave us 1 Euro off and told Sweetie to buy me a coffee with that. Very sweet.

So, we had drinks on the very steeply sloped plaza in front of the cathedral. I was hanging on to my drink the entire time. We had lunch at La Brace, which came highly recommended. We were a bit disappointed though. The food was presently very simply (no style), and Sweetie's catch of the day certainly wasn't big enough to warrant the price tag. That said, my tagliatelle with funghi was tasty, as was the hot banana doused in a sweet rum liquid for dessert.

We hit Calanica's "beach" in the afternoon -- and found that the snack bar there was actually open, so Sweetie indulged in an ice cream.

My suitcase arrived at 7PM -- a full FIVE days into my vacation. Anyway, it's nice to have a selection of clean clothes and other amenities for a change.

No comments: