Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Tipsy Morning

Today's photo -- a rose from the garden of Pilgerhaus in the Galilee.
Lots o' Wine
Yesterday, Sweetie's sister (who is visiting) and I went to the opening of the Israwinexpo in Tel Aviv. I didn't really know what to expect -- Sweetie received an invitation to the "opening event" and so we aimed to go to that. We registered and then went into the hall where the opening event (with various high-ranking government officials scheduled to speak) was to take place. There was a jazz band playing, an open bar with champagne on offer, and canapes of all types being offered by a bevy of servers who were fluttering around the room like butterflies. We procured some champagne (what else at 10:30AM?) and found an open table and stools that were conveniently located right where the servers were entering the room with their trays full of goodies. We feasted on avocado cream puffs, ceviche, roasted vegetables in crispy filo bowls, mini-quiches, passionfruit tarts, etc. It was difficult, but somehow we endured it.

We kept waiting for the opening event to start, but there was no end in sight, so after consuming what we thought was a respectable quantity of appetizers, we headed into the large hall where virtually every Israeli wine producer had an area set up with wines on offer. I have never seen so much wine available in one place for tasting in my life.


Yesterday was open only to "wine professionals," journalists, etc. so as "diplomats" we were complete and total posers. BUT, that said, I think we did VERY well holding our own. People were very interested in serving us, and it was only when the mayor of Tel Aviv walked up that we were pushed aside at one of the producers stands while the paparazzi (who were already there taking photos of US) snapped a flurry of photos.


Each vineyard's representative would say, "Why don't you try our entire range of wines?" and they'd have like 20 bottles lined up. Uhhhhh---did we look like complete boozers or something? I was driving, so I really had to try to limit myself. Not easy! I think by about the 20th tasting (which happened to be at the Dalton vineyard's stand - they have a SUPERB 2003 Merlot in their Reserve line), I could no longer distinguish tastes and actually begged a cracker out of the hostess's secret snack stash for herself (only one exhibitor had any sort of cracker on offer).


A difficult life, let me tell you! :-) We really had a great time -- I'm so happy Sweetie thought to pass his invite along to me and his sister!

No comments: