Monday, February 11, 2008

Free Food

I had to make the dreaded grocery store trip today.  I often enjoy grocery shopping, but buying all the items on my list here, like everywhere else I have lived, requires trips to about three different stores.  I'm tired.  I already made a pilgrimage to the largest natural foods supermarket in Israel late last week.  Anyway, I am on the hook for some homecooked meals since last night Sweetie took me out to dinner (to the scene of our first ever dinner out together - needless to say, the same level of suspense and tension was not in evidence between us last night).  

All I wanted today was a red onion.  Was that too much to ask.  Apparently so.  My usual general purpose supermarket only had one soft and squishy red onion at the bottom of a crate.  No thank you.  So, I ran across to the health food store.  All I found there was a decorative string of red onions made of paper (though it was useful in showing the non-English speaking produce guy what I was looking for).  No dice.  So, I made a bargain with myself.  If the little strip of shops on the way home had a parking spot, I would try there for my onion AND get Sweetie's suit from the cleaners.  What a coup that would be.  

There was a spot.  And I went into my favorite neighborhood veggie shop and they had a whole bunch of red onions.  I picked one out.  Told the shopkeeper I didn't need a bag and tossed it into my $200 purse (those were the days, when I could afford purses like that) and asked him how much it cost.  "It's on the house," was the kind reply.  I really do like doing business with small shops in Israel.  The staff are friendly.  They'll spot you $10 and trust you to pay it back.  They'll toss little veggies in for free.  It's all good.

1 comment:

vegetablej said...

Hi Cha-chan:

Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog. It always helps when you write something that leaves a little heart's blood on the page. :)

Japan does tend to get in the blood somehow. I returned here with much the same feelings you have now having left after the first two years.

How interesting that you are in Israel, and how many places you've visited! I truly regret that I couldn't do more travelling when I was younger and that I didn't do more when I was here in Japan. Seems I usually used the budget for trips home now and then which were pricy and hard to squeeze in what with the short holidays here.

I wonder how you managed all your travelling. Were you working in all those countries? If you've got any good ideas for managing travel, I'd love to hear them. :)

Interesting blog you have here. I'd love to see more pictures, though, it you have a camera. The one you have up is beautiful.

About the red onions, though I do realize that sometimes you just have to have something to make some comfort food from home, I've found it best to do as you did, go to a farmers' market or small local store and then see what's seasonal, and even ask them what they recommend. You can get some fabulous ideas that way, good taste and lots of vitamins too, and yes, free stuff doesn't hurt.

Thanks for the good wishes and the same to you. :)