Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Photo a Day

I've decided I'll post one photo each day, if at all possible. Now that the sun is out again, I can carry my camera around and get some practice.

Yes, the sun. It's glorious. Israel is blessed with lots and lots of sunny weather. And the sea. I'll try to walk there tomorrow for some seaside photos. In the meantime, you'll have to settle for this one of some trees in my friend's garden.

The pic here was taken with my standard 18-55mm Canon lens, which I was told by a serious photographer is "crap." But, for a casual photographer like myself, it's a great multipurpose lens and I think I will use it a lot.

It's a little embarrassing that the more photos I take, the more I realize that my pics are not so great! Anyway, I'm learning, so that's the important thing.

4 comments:

VegetableJ said...

This is a lovely picture and do you know it's a bigger version of potted plants growing all over my neighborhood in Japan. I just gave away mine to a new home last week, so I was amazed to see it there as a tree growing in Israel. They are beautiful plants, easy to grow and resilient.

I wonder if you know the name of it?

Cha-chan said...

I *think* this is a Schefflera, or some variety of it. I also used to have one has a houseplant in the US and had to part with it when I moved to Japan -- maybe we should create a plant exchange website for folks moving around the world:-)

vegetablej said...

Schefflera, hmm. Glad to hear you had one in the US. Maybe I can get one in Canada when I get back.

Not a bad idea, but maybe we would have to exchange seeds, as I think plants themselves are banned.

Now if you had some of those organic lemon seeds. :)

By the way, I have access to Japanese seeds. If you want anything I could send you something in the mail now before I go. I'm definitely taking some of the vegetable seeds home otherwise I know I'll never get them again.

Cha-chan said...

I was thinking of something like a home swap -- a website where people moving out of country can list their plants and someone moving into that country/area can claim them:-) I always have to start from scratch with my plant collections.

Thank you for the offer on Japanese seeds. That is so kind! I think I will go find some myself as I am aiming to move back to Japan in the fall (if I can find a job!). It will give me more incentive:-)

Are you taking some Shiso with you? I've seen it flourishing in the Washington, DC area.

By the way, when I came to Israel, I asked our gardener to plant some camellias since I missed them from my time in Japan. Two succumbed to a water shortage, but one survived and it is only NOW starting to bloom! Isn't that funny? They bloom in the cold days of winter in Japan, don't they?