Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Lessons Learned

Lesson #1: If ants are devouring a gross insect on your patio, leave them to it.

Today, I discovered a huge hoard of ants devouring what appeared to be a worm on our patio.  I thought I should clean it all up, then thought maybe I should just let the ants eat the dead thing.  That turned out to be the correct choice.  A few hours later, I looked outside and there was nary a sign of the whole spectacle.

Lesson #2: If there is a stream of ants just outside your front door, take no action.

One day, Sweetie was leaving for work and noticed a massive stream of ants running all along the front of our house.  He thought I should do something about it.  So, I sprayed them.  Bad idea.  Very soon, there was a stream of ants IN the house.  I was struggling to find their entry point, and then after much detective work realized that they were coming in from the burglar alarm noise-maker unit which is approximately 6 feet off the floor.  Go figure.  Anyway, I am now strictly against spraying or attempting to redirect ants that are outside the house.

No comments: