Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Cornhole


While visiting family in Ohio, Sweetie and I were introduced to Cornhole -- an outdoor game sweeping Ohio (and perhaps other parts of the US?). I just checked Wikipedia and it was actually invented back in the 1960s in the west side of Cincinnati. Anyway, it is very much the rage now in Ohio, with everyone from college students to families playing it.


For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Cornhole involves two boards set at an incline and placed 30 feet apart. Each board has a hole in it. Teams stand at opposite boards and try to throw beanbags into the hole of the board 30 feet away from them. [Photo from Wikipedia]


My aunt and uncle initiated Sweetie and me into Cornhole and all its glory. They told me beforehand that one of my aunts, who will remain nameless, managed to throw her beanbag behind her and ONTO THE ROOF. Well, I was pretty sure I wouldn't be doing that.


Well....I shouldn't have been so confident. None of my beanbags landed on the roof, but they came pretty darn close, and in addition, I nearly hit my cousin, and she wasn't even playing the game!


Anyway, I had another aunt to commisserate with over my serious lack of hand-eye coordination. Another aunt of mine said her bags go straight up in the air like mine did. Much to my uncle's complete disbelief. He just could not understand how it could be so difficult to toss a stupid beanbag. Indeed. I don't understand either!


I tried to convince Sweetie that we should make a Cornhole set to play here, but he pointed out that our yard isn't long enough and that we'd be sending the bags into the street or the swimming pool (or worse, if I am playing).

No comments: