Saturday, March 22, 2008

Sweltering (and Coughing) in March


We're experiencing a "sharav" here in Israel this weekend.  It's basically a massive influx of hot air and dust from the desert areas east.  Usually, I'm not too bothered by it, but this one seriously has me coughing, much along the lines of the "Cairo cough" that plagued me in Egypt.  Today, I spent much of the day inside (some of the time wearing a surgical mask), while Sweetie was out basking in the sun.

Veggies
I finally remembered to take a picture of my organic veggie box this week before putting everything away.  Doesn't it all look yummy?  I've really been enjoying having a nice, fresh salad every day.  Did you know that if you wash lettuce, break it into pieces, and put it in a tupperware container with some water in the bottom, that it will keep really well for about a week?  

I do have to be very careful washing the veggies though.  They are really fresh and not at all prewashed.  So, there are lots of spiders, caterpillars and other assorted guests in
with my veggies.  Today I actually had to throw away much of my broccoli because it had some bugs on it that I couldn't get off, even after soaking in vinegar-water and boiling!  Oh well....  That's the exception, though.  And I'd rather deal with some bugs than pesticides!

No comments: