Friday, March 14, 2008

My Passport

Yesterday I made a long-awaited trek to the US Embassy for an appointment to get additional pages added to my passport.  Yes, my passport is nearly full, with four more years to go before it expires.  This is even considering the fact that I used my diplomatic passport for much of my travel (prior to last March).  So, I guess I've spent a lot of time on planes!  Anyway, I followed the directions on the embassy website and left ALL personal belongings in my car, with the exception of my passport, my application form, and my car keys.  As I arrived at the embassy, they swiped my hands for bomb residue and then I got to wait behind several dual-citizen families who had clearly paid no attention whatsoever to the embassy regulations and were trying to bring in electronic 
dictionaries, telephones, hair picks, etc.  I was less than pleased, as this was all delaying my progress in the line.  

And I must say that I was slightly dismayed that all the instruction were being given to me in Hebrew, despite the fact that I was waiting in line for American Citizen Services.  Anyway, I eventually made my way into the Embassy and waited about an hour until my name was called.  When I got to the window, the guy told me that I need not have made an appointment!  I waited four months for this appointment!!   Anyway, they did take care of it and I had my passport pages within the next hour, for which I was very grateful.

Anyway, I just checked the embassy's website, and indeed, it does state there that an appointment is REQUIRED.  So, I am completely perplexed.  

Note to any US citizens living in Israel: try to take care of all passport issues and other official business when you are back in the US visiting.

No comments: