Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I've had it

Today I am really thinking evil thoughts toward Israel and most Israelis (I say "most," because some truly are nice and this doesn't apply to them). Why? Well, last night at 0230, Sweetie and I were very abruptly woken by an ear-piercing house alarm. We both were jolted out of bed by it and upon investigation, discovered that the house under construction behind us (which has already ruined large portions of our lives/time here in Israel) had a house alarm fitted. And it was going off. And we thought, no wonder because the house has no windows, no doors, no gate, etc. DUH! Anything could get in there (eg: birds, cats, dogs, etc.) and set the alarm off at any time!



It went on for about 10 minutes. Both of us were entirely too disturbed after the alarm finally ceased to get back to sleep. I think I was awake another hour seething with anger at people's complete lack of consideration for others. I was trying to decide how I would handle it -- who to talk to about it, what would be likely to get them to do something about it/care, etc.


Long, irritating story short, our kind, quiet next door neighbors know the lady building the house and told her to turn the alarm off. Apparently, the lady (we call her FB) was going out of town and gave our neighbor the alarm code. But, like us, the neighbors were rudely awoken by the alarm at 0230 and our neighbor said "What, does she expect me to get up in the middle of the night, get dressed, and walk over there and shut it off?? And to have my whole family woken every night?" Indeed. And frankly, anyone who wants to mess with a crappy unfinished house rather than robbing any number of luxuriously appointed, occupied homes in the area has a serious priority problem.


I've just really had it with noise and lack of consideration for others in this country. Our whole neighborhood is a giant construction site. Virtually every third house is being either torn down or gutted and renovated. We might as well be living in the middle of the Big Dig. Sundays are ruined. Every day from 0700 until at least 1500 is just full of noise. We can't wait to leave.

3 comments:

sunshinegirl said...

Hello! Sorry to hear about the construction noise. In my neighborhood, there was a construction of a brand new apartment next next door, and it was so noisy every morning. They usually started around 7am or earlier, so I was always woken up (I don't have to wake up until 8am), although nothing like this happened. It's finished and now they are selling this place...it's 3.3 million for one unit. Unbelievable!

vegetablej said...

Sorry to tell you, but you probably already know, Japan is just as bad. Oh those election cars circulating through the neighborhood on Sunday morning shouting "Ohayo Gozaimasu" in high-pitched rabid Japanese, and the Matsuri-next-door. Watch those window panes do the bon dance. :) And don't forget the bozoku.

Fortunately, though, it does sound like your neighborhood is even worse. My sympathies, and hope it improves soon. I'd say get yourselves some of those little foam earplugs and maybe something to drink. Might help a bit.

Cha-chan said...

Thank you both for reminding me that the grass isn't always greener! For Sunshinegirl: we have our own "mini-Australia" here because our neighbor across the street is Australian:-) Her laugh is soooo loud:-) I am glad she is enjoying herself, but maybe she could just do it a little quieter:-)

and VegetableJ: I forgot about the ubiquitous election cars, yaki-imo man, bosoozoku, and other peace-disturbers:-) Thanks for the reminder! :-)

As for our situation, the construction site STILL has an "indoor" alarm going off all afternoon and night (still no windows and doors on that house). The indoor alarm is a bit quiter, so it doesn't make us jolt out of bed:-)

Earplugs are in use. But I will add a stiff drink to the mix as well! Brilliant idea!