Thursday, January 10, 2008

Some General Egyptian Observations; Onward to Cairo

Let me take a break in my trip report to offer a few random tidbits about Egypt:

-- Cigarette smoke is very pervasive. Lots of people smoke and the Egyptians seem to have a very fluid concept of smoking sections/tables/hotel rooms. Basically, here's the deal: you walk into a restaurant and they ask if you want smoking or non-smoking. Either one you choose, you're going to be seated at the same table. Your table is only "non-smoking" in the sense that YOU are NOT smoking at it. I'm not kidding.

-- Cairo has the most polluted air I have ever breathed. I consider myself fairly resilent despite my problems with chronic allergies. I have visited China and suffered no ill-effects from the pollution and also lived for a year in Tokyo, one of the world's largest cities. But in Cairo I developed the "Cairo cough" -- a irritating, dry cough that just won't go away. I felt as if I had a cold all the time. I will spare you the gory details, but let's just say that I really couldn't wait to get back home to cleaner air.

-- Egypt has some really wonderful food. Kushari -- which is best bought on the street. Hummus -- a souped-up and richer (but I think healthier) version that what you find elsewhere in the Mideast. Tiny lemons that pack a whollop of flavor. Cinnamon tea.

Back to the trip report:
Cairo
Our boat trip wrapped up after a week (sadly -- they practically had to drag me off) and we headed back to Cairo.  The plane trip was mercifully short.  As Sweetie and I boarded, we realized that our seats were toward the rear of the plane.  Ok, fine.  But, as we walked back, suddenly the rows became much much much closer together and our row had ZERO leg room.  It actually looked like they had put a row in between two normally spaced rows.   The lady in the row in front of me-one seat over reclined her seat and she was virtually in my lap.  No kidding.   During the flight, Amro walked to the back of the plane, saw our row and did a double-take.  Then, in his typical positive demeanor, he commented, "Wow, you will get to know your neighbors VERY quickly back here."  

Once in Cairo, we were taken to the Grand Hyatt where we had booked a Nile view room.  Not feeling like venturing out, we settled on dinner at Okashi, a Japanese restaurant in the hotel.  It was surprisingly good!  And interesting to watch the Arab teppanyaki chef's grill tricks:-)  

No comments: