Thursday, January 31, 2008

Hebrew; Ant Invasion

I just saw a notice that Blogger (the site hosting this blog) is now available in Hebrew.  Just in case I feel inspired, I guess!  Actually, I continue to prod along with my Hebrew studies, even though I feel like it's basically futile, because when am I ever again (after leaving Israel) going to use Hebrew?  I take have a weekly private lesson and also have recently started meeting with a conversation partner (we meet an hour each week: 30 minutes of English and 30 of Hebrew).  And I keep wondering why I am doing this.  I have to admit though, it does come in handy during my daily life here.  Most people do speak English.  But some don't.  Also, there are many occasions where being able to read Hebrew is really helpful (at the grocery store, reading street signs, etc.)   So, it does help alleviate the general sense of alienation one might feel not speaking the language here.

Rain = Ants in the House

You might have heard that Israel has had some pretty extreme weather this week.  Snow in Jerusalem.  Three straight days and nights of thunderstorms here on the coast.  It was pretty strange.  There was one clap of thunder so loud the other night that if Jesus was going to rise again, he would have then.  I started thinking about building an ark.  It just kept going and going.  
And now peace and tranquility have returned (at least weather-wise).  And so have the ants.  I was just going to lie down on the sofa with my book and rest for a bit when I noticed ants swarming that particular area of the living room.  I should have known.  They did this the last time we had really  heavy rains.  They come in via the hole in the wall where all the wires for our sophisticated sound/plasma TV system are (which we don't really use because we don't have any sophisticated stereo systems or plasma tvs).  

Question: When you vacuum up ants, could they potentially crawl back out of the vacuum cleaner?  These are the sorts of things I really need to know.  

No comments: