Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Car Trouble, Bet Shean

On the final day of our Galilee adventure, we visited Bet Shean -- one of Israel's most impressive sites for Roman ruins. As we were leaving Pilgerhaus, I felt something happen with the car. It stuttered apruptly at the top of a hill. But, it kept moving, so I didn't pay too much attention to it.

Well, after visiting the fantastic ruins at Bet Shean, the car wasn't very happy when I tried to start it. The ominous "check engine" light was lit. Not good. We checked the oil level, consulted the owners manual (which seemed to indicate the problem was something related to emissions), and decided to go on our merry way.

We safely made it home and yesterday I finally took the car into the garage. It took the ENTIRE day. I left at 0730 and didn't get home until 1730. Ug. And though the bill was more than I was hoping it would be, it could have been worse. It turned out to be a "faulty sensor." The car was also in desperate need of an oil change because the previous owner virtually never used the car and so hadn't changed the oil in about 18 months. When I went over the bill with the service assistant, I noticed that the oil itself (not including filter or labor) cost over $100!! Was there gold in that oil or something? When I questioned him on it, he said that's the recommended oil. Indeed. Recommended for their profits, I think. Anyway, the waiting room was pretty luxurious and made my long wait tolerable. I suppose my oil money helps keep those leather sofas in good condition.

No comments: