Friday, October 16, 2009

Boo~~!

Have you been "Boo"-ed yet?  Or ever?  Do  you know what I'm talking about?

Last night, the doorbell rang wildly.  It was pitch black outside and we didn't have any outside lights on.  I was scared.  I didn't know who it was.  I gingerly approached the front door.  I then went around to the kitchen and peeked through the blinds.  I didn't see anyone.  

Across the road, I saw that our neighbor was outside his house, so I figured that if I opened the door and someone tried to attack me, he would notice.  So, I opened the door.

And there I saw a small, elegantly-wrapped bag with "Boo" written on a piece of white paper sticking out of the top.

After a moment of deliberation, I decided that a bomber would probably NOT wrap an incendiary device so elegantly.  So, I grabbed the bag and opened it up inside.

There was a poem with the "Boo" sign that explained that I was to do the same thing for two other neighbors within the next 24 hours.  The bag was full of all sorts of cool goodies like a really nice Halloween candle, some apples with caramel dip, Georgia pecans, assorted candy, and a Halloween towel.  It was really sweet!!

At that point, I figured that many neighbors had not yet been "boo"-ed and that I would have my pick the next night.  But alas, by the time I returned from a post-work shopping run, all of the friendly people we know on the street had already been "boo"-ed.  I found it interesting that the none of the folks we don't really care for had been boo-ed!  Apparently others share our taste in neighbors.

So, I ventured down to another cul-de-sac, where the two other people who work at the college live.  They didn't have Boo signs visible.  It wasn't quite dark yet, but I didn't really fancy walking around on a dark, cold, rainy, windy night, so I went out just before dark.  I think I might have been spotted after my first drop.  And by the time I made the second drop, I was very hesitant when I pressed the doorbell.  I'm not even sure it rang.  Oh well!  Hopefully they use their front door occasionally:-)

Try starting a Boo tradition in your neighborhood!  Now is about the time to get started -- two weeks before Halloween.

No comments: