Monday, May 12, 2008

Open Letter to the Nasty Person Who Took Our Stuff

This is to the person who broke into our house while we were on vacation and took "all the important stuff" (as a former fellow burglary victim put it).

What exactly are you going to do with my 4-year-old Japanese hard drive that requires a transformer (which I noticed you took) and plug adaptor? It's only 100GB -- completely obsolete by today's standards. Why bother? You've managed to take all my photos, my iTunes, and other things too large to back up on discs. I hope you're happy.

And how much money are you going to get for my 2-year-old laptop? A hundred dollars maybe? Is that really worth the time it will take to clean the drive and the gazillion programs I had installed?

You can have my brand new 250GB hard drive, but could you at least transfer the vacation photos on it to a DVD and drop it in the mailbox?

I'd like you to know that the ribbon was out in my fax machine. Good luck finding a new one.

As for my jewelry, including the custom-designed necklace with diamonds from my parents' wedding rings, I hope karma comes back to haunt you. Those can't be replaced. I also can't replace the jewelry Sweetie gave me because the series is discontinued. So, instead, I'll be treasuring the memory of my joyful reaction when I opened the boxes of the diamond necklace and later, earrings, that he gave me.

Regarding the other diamond jewelry you stole, you can have it. It was from an ex-boyfriend, so enjoy.

As for the car, in case you care (which I know you don't), it was NOT insured for theft (unbeknownst to me), so we just lost that money, and contrary to what you might think, money does not grow on trees for us. I will be walking to the grocery store for the hot summer months to come. And when I move back to the US, I'll be riding a bicycle. Thanks for keeping me fit.

As for Sweetie's cufflinks, tie tacks, and watches: low blow. As for ALL my costume jewlery (except for one pair of earrings and some tarnished silver bracelets), another low blow. As for all the change Sweetie had in his car and desk drawer, LAME. And that half-empty bottle of Chanel perfume, who do you think is going to buy that???

[Side note to the Israeli government: I am completely appalled that you are now going to charge us HALF the value of our stolen car in taxes simply because it was stolen and is no longer in our possession!!!!!!!! So, a citizen of YOUR nation steals MY car, and I have to PAY YOU for it???????!!!!!!!!! How is that acceptable in any version of reality?]

1 comment:

vegetablej said...

Good lord, cha-chan. Horrors! So sorry to hear of your losses, especially the precious and irreplaceable family jewellery, music and pictures.

And your car. It must be dreadful to lose that and be asked to pay a tax after it's stolen!!!! Surely someone was up late figuring out that particular twisted brand of taxation.

Anyway, just to say I feel for you and send a few big hugs to cheer you up.

Hang in there! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO's