Friday, April 4, 2008

Trip to a Ship


Here's a photo of my new camera lens!



Ship Trip
This past week, Sweetie and I had the opportunity to participate in a reception onboard a Turkish vessel that is part of a NATO group of ships currently docked in Haifa. I had never been on a warship before.

We arrived early, and representatives from the boats of all nations in the flotilla were there and held up flags for us. Then, there were representatives from the various boats also at the reception on the Turkish ship. Sweetie and I managed to scope out some Americans and I talked to the top enlisted sailor on the US ship, who answered some of my questions about uniforms (it was really hard to tell who was from what country). Then, I ended up talking to a group of officers, while Sweetie sought out the Brits. It was great, until another officer swooped in and would not stop talking. I did not catch on when all the other officers discreetly walked away. This guy was a serious motormouth. I think part of the problem was that he was on this Turkish ship for a few months, without any other native English speakers. He was making up for lost time and I was his victim.

I kept waiting for Sweetie to rescue me, from apparently, to the outside observer, it looked like I was having a nice conversation -- but in fact, I was playing therapist (and not getting paid $110/hour).


Anyway, I FINALLY escaped and got some food.

Slow Blogging Season
I really must apologize for the lack of blogs recently.  I am job-hunting and that has been consuming lots of my time (read: if you want to hire me, let me know!).  I want to write more often, but it just hasn't been possible.  I will try to post at least once a week.  


No comments: