Wednesday, June 13, 2007

What's a "partner"?

Recently, Sweetie introduced me as his "partner" to an American couple. The wife said, "So....you're business partners?" :-) Ummmm....not exactly. And I could not remember what Americans call people who live together but aren't married. Sinners? :-) "Partner" in the US tends to mean either 1) Business partners or 2) One member of a homosexual couple. Well, yesterday someone reminded me of the "significant other" term. One American lady told me she can't stand that because although she is significant, she's definitely not "other." :-) I think we'll stick with "partner" and explain when needed.

How not to build a house
I've been watching the progress of a house being built behind us. And, so much is clear to me now. I now see why our 1-year-old house is essentially falling apart. These builders seem to have virtually no building expertise whatsoever. I actually saw one guy trying to show another how to HAMMER something the other day.

In our house, we have lovely marble stairs, but there are huge numbers written into them on the landings (presumably marking the price or the weight or size of the raw material) that are not removable! Who would ever allow this to happen in a house in the States?

That's just one example.

No comments: