Monday, October 27, 2008

Happy Birthday


This month, it was my turn for a birthday. Sweetie spoils me and showered me with gifts and surprises. For my actual birthday, we went to Yellow Springs, Ohio for a brunch at "The Winds" restuarant, which was really lovely. I had a delicious borlotti beans and orzo dish, which at the time, did not seem that large, but it filled me up for about 6 hours! Unusual for me, because generally I like to eat every few hours. We walked around quaint Yellow Springs, enjoyed the fall colors, and visited some artists' galleries.

It's really a cute little town, but sadly, the college located there (Antioch) has apparently GONE OUT OF BUSINESS, which is really quite sad for a town like that. I am not sure how it is going to affect the local businesses.

This past week, I did a bit of traveling for work, and ventured to three liberal arts colleges in Minnesota. I really enjoyed the town of Northfield, in particular. It had a very British feel and had the usual assortment of upscale college-town gift shops, bakeries, and decent restaurants.

I think that is what our town is missing -- it has a college, but really is not in any way a "college town."

4 comments:

jafabrit said...

While the closure of the college is really very sad, it won't affect the village in terms of its cultural vibrancy. As a brit expat I really love living here in Yellow Springs and am always pleased to hear others have enjoyed their visit.

sunshinegirl said...

Happy Birthday!! Sorry, I didn't know that it was your birthday. Do you put your birthday in your facebook profile? I set up birthday alerts but I didn't get your birthday info. I am glad you had a great day! Hope to see you in Japan.

Junko said...

Happy birthday!!

I hope you have a great year.

vegetablej said...

Omedeto gozaimasu! Sounds like a lovely day, so fine to be enjoying your birthday at home, especially with the political outlook brightening. Many happy days to you and your husband.

:)