Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I can't believe it's not meat!

An article in the Jerusalem Post today says an estimated 60% of Israeli households have a soy meat-analogue in their freezer (ie: a meat-like product that is based on soy, such as a veggie burger). I wonder if this includes expatriate households. I was so impressed the first time I looked into Sweetie's freezer -- I exclaimed: "You have veggie burgers!" (I'm a vegetarian). He said, "I do?" It turns out he had bought a pack of frozen burgers at the supermarket and had been eating them, but had no idea they were actually veggie burgers. A similar thing happened to another friend of mine. She was feeding her family "chicken patties" for a year before she realized there was absolutely no chicken in them whatsoever.



People often ask me, "Well, what do you eat?" when I tell them I don't eat meat or fish. I say, "Everything else." And as we can see, "everything else" includes things that people eat completely unaware that those products are vegetarian.



Here are some pics from a incredible feast (I couldn't even touch the last course, I was so full) I had at a Japanese inn a few years ago. The food was entirely free of animal products.




No comments: